Part of the series Cengage Learning Australia - Education.
Taught well, Health and Physical Education can provide purposeful, stimulating and challenging learning experiences. It can help children to develop sophisticated understanding, skill and capabilities through their bodies and to see greater meaning in not only what they are learning but also their wider lives; and it can enrich all other aspects of the curriculum.
This practical new text will help pre- and in-service teachers to develop and implement quality health and physical education experiences in primary schools. It introduces the general principles of teaching and learning in Health and Physical Education and explains why this learning area is an important part of the Australian Curriculum. Chapters then discuss considerations and practical implications for teaching both health and physical education using a strengths-based approach.
Packed with evidence-based and research-informed content, this valuable text also includes numerous examples and activities that help you bridge the gap from theory to real-world practice. Above all, it will give educators the confidence to teach primary health and physical education so that every child benefits.
- Aligns with the Australian Curriculum: Health and Physical Education, and the key features underpinning this document
- Examples throughout help students to link theory to the classroom setting
- ‘Reflection’ boxes prompt students to stop and reflect on their own experiences and understandings in relation to the material they have just covered
- ‘Teaching practice’ boxes give short stories or suggest activities that demonstrate how chapter concepts are applied in real-world scenarios
- ‘Tips for inclusive practice’ offer practical ideas and considerations for teaching for a range of individual differences
- ‘Cross-curricular possibilities’ boxes introduce activities or directives to encourage students to integrate HPE with other learning areas
- Review questions at the end of chapters encourage students to revise and reflect on what they have learned
- A Standards mapping grid shows how the chapters contribute to developing knowledge for the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers to assist students to attain the Graduate Standards in relation to teaching primary health and physical education
Part 1: Introduction to the area
- Introducing Health and Physical Education
- Understanding quality Health and Physical Education
- Overview of the Australian Curriculum: Health and Physical Education
- Authentic learning and assessment in primary Health and Physical Education
Part 2: Understanding and teaching about personal, social and community health
- Pedagogies and issues in teaching for health
- Exploring identity, help-seeking behaviour and decision making
- Communicating for healthy relationships and wellbeing
- Whole-school approaches to promoting health
Part 3: Understanding and teaching about movement and physical activity
- Planning for developmentally appropriate learning
- Moving for purpose: skills, knowledge and values
- Moving for life: experience and expression
|Product Type||Teacher Resources,|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Teacher Superstore users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.