Part of the series Cengage Learning Australia - Education.
Teaching Humanities and Social Sciences, 7e prepares teachers to develop and implement programs in the humanities and social sciences learning area from F-10. It successfully blends theory with practical approaches to provide a basis for teaching that is engaging, inquiry-based and relevant to students’ lives.
Using Version 8.1 of the Australian Curriculum, the text discusses the new structure of the humanities and social sciences learning area. Chapters on history, geography, civics and citizenship, and economics and business discuss the nature of these subjects and how to teach them to achieve the greatest benefit for students, both as sub-strands within the Year F-6/7 HASS subject and as distinct Year 7-10 subjects.
Throughout, the book maintains its highly respected philosophical and practical orientation, including a commitment to deep learning in a context of critical inquiry. With the aid of this valuable text, teachers can assist primary, middle and secondary students to become active and informed citizens who contribute to a just, democratic and sustainable future.
New, print versions of this book come with bonus online study tools on the Search Me! platform.
- The broad scope of this text provides a valuable base for teaching humanities and social sciences to children from Foundation to Year 10, with practical examples across this range
- Key questions in the chapter overview gives students a clear sense of what each chapter will cover and what to ask themselves while reading the chapter
- Chapters open with Snapshots of primary and secondary teaching that introduce and illustrate the chapter topics in a real-world context
- Case studies with questions illustrate how the theory and concepts covered in the chapter may apply to real-world situations for both primary and secondary teaching
- Easily find relevant curriculum and standards content by navigating via the icons throughout, including GC for General capabilities, AC for ACARA quotes, CCP for Cross curricular priorities, and APST for Australian Professional Standards for Teachers
- Readers test their knowledge and consolidate learning through Activities at the end of every chapter High-quality online educational resources in the 'Useful web-based teaching and learning resources' annotated lists at the end of every chapter support pre-service teachers in their learning
PART 1 Context: The Humanities and Social Sciences across Australia
1. The context for teaching and learning Humanities and social sciences
2. Humanities and social sciences in the Australian Curriculum
PART 2 Teaching Humanities and Social Sciences: Key Elements
3. Integrating the curriculum
4. Planning for critical inquiry
5. Planning for student learning
6. Assessment for student learning
7. Values, ethical understanding and controversial issues
8. Developing language and literacy
9. Using information and communication technologies
PART 3 Teaching Humanities and Social Sciences: Learning areas
10. History as a learning area
11. Teaching historical inquiry
12. Geography as a learning area
13. Teaching geographical inquiry
14. Teaching economics and business
15. Teaching and learning for active and informed citizenship
PART 4 Cross curriculum priorities
16. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories and cultures
17. Asia and Australia’s engagement with Asia
|Product Type||Teacher Resources,|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Teacher Superstore users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.