Part of the series Cengage Learning Australia - Education.
"We have not sought in this book, to define ‘best practice’ for you, but have rather, challenged you to think about ways in which to teach intelligently, insightfully and respectfully."
- How does a teacher deal with a student’s challenging behaviour in the classroom?
- Is it fair to adopt information and communication technologies that favour students who have access to sophisticated devices such as tablets in their own home?
- How, during the professional experience, is an education student to act when his or her beliefs about learning are not congruent with those of the supervising teacher?
- Should students be grouped in terms of their ability?
These and many more issues arise daily in our early childhood, primary and secondary learning environments.
Teaching: Dilemmas, Challenges & Opportunities (6th Edition) takes a holistic approach to classroom teaching and learning. It considers the complexities and opportunities embedded in meeting learners’ needs in diverse and ever-changing contexts. It encourages pre-service teachers to become active learners of teaching, how to think like teachers and to consider the fundamental aspects of teaching. It directs pre-service teachers to useful teaching resources, in text, in references and online. Case studies and reflection opportunities encourage pre-service teachers to consider their own strengths and issues, the diversity of learning styles in their students, their school and wider community as well as government and ethical requirements. It raises student awareness of what it really means to teach and how they can do it. Students will continue to refer to this well-researched and easy-to-use text throughout their qualification, in their professional placement and into their teaching career.
New, print versions of this textbook come with bonus online study tools on the Search Me! platform.
- The well-respected holistic approach and accessible language of this text encourage pre-service teachers to become active learners of teaching, how to think like teachers and to consider the fundamental aspects of teaching. It offers more than a standard formula of how to teach
- Authentic educator insights illustrate key points of interest, embedded throughout to ensure that the reading flow is not interrupted
- Margin definitions for key terms help pre-service teachers to acquire the essential language of their profession
- Students think about their own connection with teaching by considering the further reflection opportunities throughout the chapters
- Test student knowledge and consolidate learning with the 'Following through' exercises
- Explore useful online teaching resources at the end of every chapter
- New, print versions of this textbook come with 12-month access to Search Me! Education - an online research library available 24/7 with content updated daily from peer-reviewed journals, newspapers and eBooks, for wider reading and assignments. Search Me! Education keywords at the end of each chapter assist pre-service teachers to explore topics further and find current references
Part 1: Dilemmas and challenges of teaching
- So you want to be a teacher! Working in a changing context
- Ethical Practice
Part 2: Understanding learning
- Understanding learner diversity
- The nature of learning
- The learning environment
- Communication in the educational environment
- Teaching, learning and curriculum in a changing world
Part 3: The effective teacher
- Teacher as co-learner
- Planning, preparing and assessment for teaching
- Managing the positive learning environment
- Building family and community partnerships
- Practitioner inquiry
- Drawing the challenges, dilemmas and opportunities together
|Product Type||Teacher Resources,|
|Author(s)||Robyn Ewing, University of Sydney Lisa Kervin, University of Wollongong Christine Glass, Murdoch University Brad Gobby, Curtin University Rosie Le Cornu, University of South Australia Susan Groundwater-Smith, University of Sydney|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Teacher Superstore users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.