In this new edition of their ground-breaking book Strategies That Work, Stephanie Harvey and Anne Goudvis share the work and thinking they’ve done since the second edition came out a decade ago. They offer new perspectives on how to explicitly teach thinking strategies to that students become engaged, thoughtful, independent readers.
The new edition is organised around three sections:
Part I: The Foundation of Meaning includes
- up-to-date research and new thinking in the field of comprehension
- current trends in content literacy; close strategic reading, listening and viewing; text complexity and critical thinking
- twenty-first-century reading, especially digital literacy and its implications for practice.
Part II: Strategy Lessons includes a chapter on comprehension practices and thirty new strategy lessons that
- focus on monitoring, connecting, questioning, inferring, visualising, determining importance and synthesising as tools for understanding
- build knowledge across the curriculum
- integrate comprehension and technology.
Part III: Comprehension Across the Curriculum includes chapters on
- content literacy; reading, writing and research in science and social studies
- researcher’s workshop: inquiry across the curriculum.
Since the first publication of Strategies That Work, more than a million teachers have benefited from Steph and Anne’s practical advice on creating classrooms that are incubators for deep thought. This third edition is a must have resource for a generation of new teachers – and a welcome refresher for those with dog-eared copies of this timeless guide to teaching comprehension.
|Product Type||Teacher Resources,|
|Year Level||Foundation, Year 1, Year 2, Year 3, Year 4, Year 5, Year 6, Year 7, Year 8,|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Teacher Superstore users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.