Part of the series Effective Spelling.
Effective Spelling is underpinned by a holistic and inquiry-based learning approach to spelling. The whole-school series is designed to support teachers to foster a culture of word noticing, transforming students into curious thinkers and effective, competent spellers. Each component explicitly aligns with the Australian Curriculum: English and offers educators flexible learning pathways.
Each Teaching Guide:
- comprises ten Big Ideas chapters, each with a key spelling focus
- presents inquiry-based sample learning sequences demonstrating a best-practice teaching routine, which can be adapted for many spelling concepts
- includes activities to support students' understandings of key spelling concepts
- incorporates the key spelling strategies: Sound, Visual, Meaning, Connecting and Checking
- includes thrice yearly Spelling Big Ideas Inventory Assessments (Year 1 to 6), and pre and post assessments for each learning sequence
- demonstrates how to incorporate rich literature into spelling instruction, and includes lists of recommended books that can be used to support student learning
- Spelling Scope and Sequence: Year 3 – Year 6
- Big Idea 1: Morphological Word Families – Related Words Have Similar Spellings
- Big Idea 2: Prefixes
- Big Idea 3: Adjective-Building Suffixes
- Big Idea 4: Derivational Suffixes
- Big Idea 5: Plurals
- Big Idea 6: Useful Visual Letter Patterns
- Big Idea 7: Apostrophes
- Big Idea 8: English Words Come from Many Other Languages
- Big Idea 9: The English Language Continues to Evolve
- Big Idea 10: Proofreading
- Assessments and Recording Sheets
- Teacher Resource Sheets
- Blackline Masters (BLMs)
|Product Type||Teacher Resources,|
|Year Level||Year 5, Year 6,|
|Author(s)||Christine Topfer, Emma Warren, Bethany Woolnough|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Teacher Superstore users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.