Part of the series Reading Boxes by Teachers 4 Teachers - Yellow, Blue, Red and Green.
Reading Box Yellow is designed for students in Years 1 and 2. Just like Reading Boxes Red and Blue, Reading Box Yellow includes 150 high quality illustrated cards spanning over 15 expertly graded levels. Reading Box Yellow also functions as a self-managing classroom resource. Suitable for:
- Years 1 and 2
- Reading Levels 6 to 27
- Reading Ages 5.6-11
Reading Box Yellow:
- is designed to cater for all reading abilities in infant school classrooms, from emergent readers to highly capable readers.
- is the first Reading Box to feature six-frame illustrated cards. These six-frame cards appear in the first four levels of the Yellow Reading Box.
- has texts with word counts ranging from 50 to 430 words.
- is a fantastic tool for inspiring independent learning
- is full of high-interest, age-appropriate texts that both male and female students will enjoy
- is great preparation for NAPLAN due to its varied questioning styles
- includes the following range of persuasive, informative and imaginative texts:
- visual texts
How Reading Box Yellow Works
- A simple 10-minute levelling test is administered before students begin to use in the box. Alternatively, teachers can use their own testing scores and judgement. Copies of the test are provided within the Teacher’s Folder. The test is also able to be photocopied from the blackline master available within the Teacher’s Manual.
- The test is marked by the teacher. Once a score has been established, the Teacher’s Manual levelling guide will suggest the colour level within the box that each student in the class should begin with. Students choose one of the informative, persuasive or imaginative texts from their designated colour level.
- Once the student has finished reading the card, at his or her own pace, they undertake a set of comprehension questions that utilise both literal and inferential strategies. The questions are also graded to match the appropriate reading level.
- Students record their answers on a photocopied answer sheet or write the answers in the back of their exercise book.
- Once a card is completed, children mark their own work using the corresponding answer card found at the back of the box.
- Then, students colour the corresponding card level and number on the Progress Chart. This is done so both the teacher and the student know what work has been completed.
In the Classroom
There are numerous ways a teacher can use the Reading Box Yellow in a classroom. With 150 different cards, the kit is quite able to support the whole class at one time. However, the optimum usage is seen as an independent activity within a rotational reading group lesson. The model below allows the Reading Box Yellow to be used by a group working independently, freeing up the teacher to work with other groups and individuals.
Reading Box Yellow - Sample Cards
Low Reading Level
Medium Reading Level
High Reading Level
|Teachers 4 Teachers
|Learning Cards & Boxes,
|Year 1, Year 2,
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Teacher Superstore users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.