Part of the series Achieve! Science.
Achieve! Science Understanding - Biology will assist teachers to develop lessons for the biology sub-strand in Science Understanding for Years 7-8 and Years 9-10. The CD-ROM contains all the pages that are featured in each book, as well as a file of illustrations that can be used for other work sheets. These files can be easily edited to suit the needs of your students. Each book is divided into ten units. The units can be taught as a lesson with students in groups of varying sizes. Alternatively, a single Resource or Activity sheet can be used as support material, for individual homework, assessment or revision. The teacher’s notes provide valuable guidance about using each unit, and contain the following elements:
- Objectives – These are the key skills and knowledge learnt through using the work sheets.
- Prior knowledge – This refers to the skills and knowledge required for students to complete the tasks. Some activities are more challenging than others, however, as a rule, students should have a reading comprehension age of six to nine years to be able to attempt the activities.
- Background – This section provides additional guidance to help teachers to present a successful lesson. It may include definitions or further background notes about the subject matter.
- Starter activity – Warm-up activities are provided to put the content into proper context and to gain student interest and attention.
- Resource and Activity work sheets – The Resource sheets do not always contain activities and are used either to stimulate discussion or as a part of the unit’s activities. The Activity work sheets may be used sequentially or as stand-alone tasks, depending on the needs of the student.
- Extension ideas – Additional tasks are suggested to recap on the main skills or knowledge taught in the lesson, as well as ways to extend, assess or include technology in the lesson.
- Classifying organisms according to characteristics
- Vertebrates and invertebrates
- Food chains and food webs and the role of humans and introduced species in these
- Cell structures and analysis
- Systems such as the digestive system, reproductive system, eyes and ears
- Impact of diseases like Ross River virus
- How deficiencies such as Vitamin D affect different individuals
- Models for measuring population growth
- Mitosis and meiosis
- Geological time and the fossil record
Work sheets help students build their scientific language knowledge and understanding of key concepts.
View Sample Pages
Click on the images below to view sample pages.
About the Achieve! Science Series
The Achieve! series of Science titles has been developed for teachers who require modified, curriculum-focused activities for secondary school students. It is aimed at students who, because of poor literacy skills, struggle to read and comprehend regular classroom materials. Students will experience success as they work alongside their classmates in the same subjects with material that is tailored for their literacy needs. Each book is divided into units that focus on a key topic and contain four to five photocopiable work sheets. The units could be taught as a lesson with students in groups of varying sizes. Alternatively, one or more activity sheets can be used as support material, or for individual homework, assessment or revision. Many books in the series include a CD-ROM that contain all the pages that are featured in the book, as well as a file of illustrations that can be used for other work sheets. These files can be easily edited to suit the needs of your students.
- Mature-look page layout and illustrations
- Topics that will interest teenagers
- An emphasis on literacy skills
- Clear learning objectives
- Starter activities, background topic information and ideas for summarising a lesson
Other Titles in the 'Achieve! Science' Series
Chemical Reactions, Materials & Particles
Explores the Chemistry concepts for the junior to middle secondary levels.
View Chemical Reactions, Materials & Particles
Energy, Electricity & Movement
Explores physics concepts for the junior to middle secondary levels.
View Energy, Electricity & Movement
Life Processes & the Environment
Explores biology concepts for the junior to middle secondary levels.
View Life Processes & the Environment
Scientific Investigation: Plants, Rocks & Outer Space
Explores scientific concepts for the junior to middle secondary levels, including the Solar System, rock types, photosynthesis, collecting data, investigations and experiments, and much more!
View Scientific Investigation: Plants, Rocks & Outer Space
Measurement and Laboratory Skills
Provides a range of tasks that will assist students to improve their use and understanding of critical science metalanguage. Topics include using units in science, using measurement equipment, calibrations and measuring experiments.
View Measurement and Laboratory Skills
Literacy for Science
Provides a range of tasks that will assist students to improve their use and understanding of critical science metalanguage. Topics include scientific method and procedures, energy and motion, the human body, ecology and more.
View Literacy for Science
Assists teachers to develop lessons regarding the cross-curriculum priority – Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories and cultures – from the Australian Curriculum.
View Indigenous Contexts
Sustainability in the Asia Pacific
Assist teachers to develop lessons regarding the cross curriculum priorities – Sustainability, and Asia and Australia’s engagement with Asia – from the Australian Curriculum.
View Sustainability in the Asia Pacific
Covers a variety of topics, including the structure of animal and plant cells, how cells work, organs, important body systems, photosynthesis and the many ways to classify living things.
View Living Things
Covers a variety of topics, including how living things interact in ecosystems, food chains and food webs, habitats, animal and plant reproduction, adaptation, evolution by natural selection, and the effects of floods, drought and bushfires on Australian ecosystems.
Science as a Human Endeavour - Biology
Assists teachers to develop lessons for the biology sub-strand in Science as a Human Endeavour.
View Science as a Human Endeavour - Biology
Science Understanding - Chemistry
Assists teachers to develop lessons for the chemical sciences sub-strand in Science Understanding for Years 7 -8 and Years 9-10.
View Science Understanding - Chemistry
|Product Type||Teacher Resources,|
|Year Level||Year 9, Year 10,|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Teacher Superstore users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.