Part of the series Yarning Strong - Land Module.
Yarning Strong aims to reach out and engage all young people - both Indigenous and non-indigenous - and deepen their awareness and understanding of what it's really like to be an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person living in Australia today. Embedding Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people's perspectives within the curriculum has long been considered best pedagogical practice for schools. Yarning Strong offers a comprehensive and accessible resource that educators can implement without fear of causing offence or perpetuating inaccurate stereotypes.
Many non-Indigenous Australian families have very limited first-hand experience with Indigenous Australians and meaningful aspects of their culture. This lack of contact has led to a number of misconceptions, which can manifest as racist behaviour or intolerance. The stories and themes in this series directly address the impact that stereotypical views and negative racial assumptions can have on society. It provides teachers with an excellent literacy resource as a platform to promote discussion and understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people's perspectives.
What's it really like being an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander kid in modern Australia? This series is relevant to all students in the classroom, helping them feel connected, informed, challenged and entertained.
- Young Indigenous students will read engaging, relevant and dynamic stories that reflect their own lives in contemporary Australia.
- Young non-Indigenous students will gain a genuine insight into the real lives of today's Indigenous youth.
Yarning Strong Land Anthology
What relationship do Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people have with the land? This anthology, as part of the Yarning Strong series, offers spiritual, historical, scientific and legal responses to that question, as well as practical ways of working with this land’s resources today.
The anthologies are a rich source of:
- Text types and text forms, including book excerpts, cartoons, plays, maps and artwork.
- Individual pieces related to the topic of identity
- A wide range of text types and text forms
- Topics that will encourage discussion, debate and critical analysis
- Primary source material
- Material by many leading Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander academics, writers, artists and poets both contemporary and historical information
View Sample Pages
Click on the button below to view sample pages.
Other Yarning Strong Learning Modules
Yarning Strong - Identity Module
This module gathers Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal voices from throughout Australia, exploring what it means to have an Indigenous identity in our country today.
Yarning Strong - Family Module
This module, explores the life of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples’ families, today and in the past.
Yarning Strong - Law Module
Law. A short word with many complex meanings. This module explores the effects British law has had on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Other Yarning Strong Series Components
Yarning Strong Audio CDs
The audio books deliver the twelve Yarning Strong novels from across the four modules:
Each author presents a compelling narration of their own book. The audio books also offer an accessible tool for teaching a younger audience and also support students with a lower reading ability. Each audio CD includes all 3 fiction novels from the learning module narrated by the novel author.
Yarning Strong Professional Support Teaching Guide
This Professional Support manual has been designed to offer multifaceted practical support for teachers, by providing:
- Background information written by Indigenous educators, covering such things as: how to handle sensitive issues, using correct terminology, and comprehensive information about Aboriginal languages.
- Themes, text types, focus questions, links to Learning Areas and pedagogical approaches.
- Comprehensive lesson plans for each novel with teaching and learning strategies based on the Literacy, Literature and Language strands in the Australian English Curriculum.
- Includes Professional Support CD-ROM and Behind the Stories DVD
|Publisher||Oxford University Press|
|Product Type||Readers & Literacy,|
|Year Level||Year 5, Year 6, Year 7,|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Teacher Superstore users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.