Part of the series Oxford University Press - Teacher Education.
A comprehensive textbook on language and literacy development in early childhood.
Language, Literacy and Early Childhood Education, third edition, focuses on language and literacy development in children from birth to age eight, with a particular emphasis on four to eight year olds. It describes pedagogical practices that will allow pre-service teachers to plan for play-based learning while also employing other approaches such as explicit teaching, collaborative learning and learning though exploration and discovery.
Making explicit links to the Early Years Learning Framework and the Australian Curriculum, this book is based on current research and theoretical perspectives, and includes practical strategies and activities to equip pre-service teachers with the knowledge and skills they need to effectively support young children’s learning of language and literacy.
New to this edition:
- All chapters have been updated with new references to current Australian and international research and new literature examples
- A new children’s literature chapter emphasises links to the Australian Curriculum, including the role of children’s literature in teaching general capabilities, and provides a foundation for references to the literature strand of the Australian Curriculum: English throughout the book
- Icons throughout the text represent links to children’s literature to develop students’ understanding of the diversity of literature available and to support their assignment work
- Chapter 24: Language, Literacy and Digital Technologies has been updated to take into account ongoing developments in digital technologies and the ways they intertwine with literacies.
Introduction to Literacy: Definitions and Theoretical Perspectives
PART 1: YOUNG CHILDREN, LANGUAGE AND LITERACY
- Understanding Oral Language
- Oral Language: Perspectives and Phases
- Early Childhood Settings and Oral Language Learning and Development
- Key Early Childhood Learning Contexts for Oral Language
- Learning Experiences and Activities for Speaking and Listening
- Language, Thinking and Learning
- Assessing Speaking and Listening
PART 2: YOUNG CHILDREN AND READING
- Understanding Reading
- Phonological Awareness, Letters, Sounds and Sight Words
- Vocabulary for Reading and Writing
- Strategies for Teaching Reading
- Reading for Comprehension
- Developing Reading Fluency
PART 3: YOUNG CHILDREN AND WRITING
- Introduction to Writing
- Writing Purpose and Text Organisation
- The Writing Conventions: Grammar and Punctuation
- Spelling and Handwriting
- Key Strategies for Teaching Writing
- Writing Experiences and Activities
- Assessing and Evaluating Writing
PART 4: FRAMING LANGUAGE AND LITERACY LEARNING
- Critical Literacy and Visual Literacy
- Language, Literacy and Digital Technologies
- Connecting with Families
- Planning for Language and Literacy
|Publisher||Oxford University Press|
|Product Type||Teacher Resources,|
|Author(s)||Janet Fellowes, Grace Oakley|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Teacher Superstore users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.