Part of the series Heroes of Australian Science.
This powerful series presents a selection of Australians whose work has contributed to furthering scientific knowledge, ideas and understandings and who consequently, have played a part in influencing and changing the ways we live. Each scientist has played a part in influencing and changing the ways we live.
- a profile of each scientist, outlining key achievements, awards and life facts
- 'Science jargon' - on-page vocabulary support
- Timeline - an overview of the major discoveries and contributions of the scientific field
This book presents a selection of inspiring scientists whose work in astronomy has contributed to our understanding of space, the universe, and how we observe and record information about them. The scientist we meet are:
- Brian Schmidt - understanding the universe
- Bryan Gaensler - understanding of magnets in space
- Rachel Webster - using natural telescopes
- Matthew Colless - mapping the universe.
This book presents a selection of scientists whose work in environmental protection has contributed to our understandings of the living and non-living things that make up the environment, and issues that affect environmental sustainability. The scientists we meet are:
- Kath Bowmer - caring for waterways
- David Lindenmayer - conserving environments for native animals
- John Church - sounding the alarm on rising sea levels
- Tim Flannery - fighting for action on climate change.
Health and Medicine
This book presents a selection of scientists whose work in health and medicine has contributed to our understanding of human health, and preventing and treating disease. The scientists we meet are:
- Elizabeth Blackburn - understanding the secret life of cells
- Suzanne Cory - breakthroughs in cancer research
- Michael Good - creating a vaccine for malaria
- Barry Marshall - treatment for stomach ulcers
Plant and Animal Conservation
This book presents a selection of scientists whose work in plant and animal conservation has contributed to our understandings of native and introduced species, and how plants and animals are affected by human activity. The scientists we meet are:
- Christopher Dickman - protecting native mammals
- Terence Hughes - caring for coral reefs
- Rick Shine - studying snakes and controlling cane toads
- Judy West - saving native plants.
This book presents a selection of scientists whose work in sustainable energy has contributed to our understandings of renewable energy sources, storing energy and the impact of new energy sources on the way we live. The scientists we meet are:
- Martin Green - improving solar cells
- Annette Cowie - benefits of bioenergy
- Mihcael Borowitzka - creating fuels from algae
- Maria Skyllas-Kazcos - inventing a battery to store renewable energy
This book presents a selection of scientists whose work in technology has contributed to furthering our understandings of the ways things work in our world, and helped to develop new technologies to improve our lives. The scientists we meet are:
- Graeme Clark - developing the 'bionic ear'
- Marcela Bilek - improving the design of an important industrial instrument
- John O'Sullivan - pioneer wireless networking of computers
“Heroes of Australian Science - Technology, ... is a superbly presented book outlining aspects of research and technology by our leading scientists. We are certainly a creative, innovative country and I hope this will inspire the next generation to continue that tradition. From a personal point of view, the entry on developing the Bionic Ear is one of the best outlines of our work, beautifully illustrated and clearly presented. I would recommend it strongly for use in schools and for general reading.” - Graeme Clark AC (the creator of Bionic Ear)
Hardback & Digital Pack
This pack consists of each book in the series in print and digital (on CD) formats at a discounted price. As an added bonus, free teaching notes are provided on the CD.
|Product Type||Software & CD-ROMs, Readers & Literacy,|
|Year Level||Year 5, Year 6,|
|Author(s)||Astrid Judge and Jane Fitzpatrick|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Teacher Superstore users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.