Part of the series Oxford University Press - Teacher Education.
Diversity, Inclusion and Engagement presents a clear, socially oriented approach to understanding and developing inclusion in education. It focuses on encouraging pre-service teachers to develop strategies to engage students of all backgrounds, needs and abilities in a diverse classroom. It conveys positive dimensions to promoting the implementation of inclusive education policy in practice, while at the same time focusing on those areas that we know are currently providing challenges for many teachers in engaging students in inclusive learning environments.
This third edition responds to constant change in schools, the national curriculum implementation, national and international developments, and heightened expectations of teachers by the public and employers. It includes some new chapters, notably one examining the needs of students facing challenges to their mental health and wellbeing. In addition, there is greater focus within most chapters on key issues, including early intervention, the use of technology, and assessment practices. There are also some new headings to help the instructors and students focus on classroom practice and facilitate individual and group learning.
With extensive learning features that blend theoretical issues and context with practical skills, Diversity, Inclusion and Engagement provides pre-service teachers with the knowledge and understanding to manage classroom challenges and develop inclusive learning environments.
New to this Edition
- Increased focus on early intervention with young children, content indicated by new icons in the margins
- Focus on the use of technology in the classroom to support diverse learner needs, content indicated by new icons in the margins
- New Chapter – Chapter 16 Supporting Mental Health and Wellbeing: Promotion, Prevention and Intervention
- New Case studies include voices of students, teachers, parents, teaching aides, and a wider age range of children to illustrate theory working in real life situation
- Discussion throughout indicated by icons about the increasing focus on all teachers being responsible for supporting the needs of diverse learners in every classroom, rather than this being the province of “special schools” and specially trained teachers as per new teacher standards.
- All content and references have been expanded and updated to reflect contemporary trends, issues, new curriculum initiatives, new policies and international developments.
Part 1: Setting the Scene
- Understanding Diversity, Inclusion and Engagement - Mervyn Hyde
- Australian Schools, Policy and Legislation in Perspective - Robert Conway
Part 2: Embracing Diversity
- Linguistic and Cultural Diversity - Michèle de Courcy, Amy Farndale
- Indigenous Perspectives and Cultural Identity - Clair Andersen, Maggie Walter
- Gender, Inclusivity and Engagement - Michael Nagel, Laura Scholes
Part 3: Supporting Diverse Learning Needs in the Classroom
- Students with Literacy Difficulties - Gary Woolley
- Assisting Children with Learning Difficulties in Mathematics - Shelley Dole
- Behavioral engagement in the inclusive classroom - Roberta Thompson, Lorelei Carpenter
- Meeting Complex Communication Needs in the Classroom - Julie McMillan, Parimala Raghavendra
- Supporting Students with Intellectual Disabilities - Kathleen Tait
- Understanding Vision Impairment - Carolyn Palmer
- Understanding Hearing Impairment - Mervyn Hyde
- Supporting Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder - Lorelei Carpenter
- Supporting Diverse Gifted Students - Jane M. Jarvis
- Understanding Physical Impairment in Young Children - Kathleen Tait
- Supporting Mental Health and Wellbeing: Promotion, Prevention and Intervention - Julie M. McMillan, Jane M. Jarvis
Part 4: Creating Diverse and Inclusive Schools
- Creating Inclusive Schools - Mervyn Hyde
- Accommodating Transitions across the Years - Robert Conway
- Inclusive Education: Ways to the Future - Mervyn Hyde, Lorelei Carpenter, Shelley Dole
|Publisher||Oxford University Press|
|Product Type||Teacher Resources,|
|Author(s)||Mervyn Hyde, Lorelei Carpenter, Shelley Dole|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Teacher Superstore users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.