This practical book outlines strategies and ideas that will support teachers to include more quality ‘learning talk’ in classrooms and to embed purposeful oral language opportunities across the curriculum. It contains a summary of the latest research and presents ideas, activities and support material to translate this into classroom practice.
The Oral Language Book is a pick-up-and-use resource that includes a wide range of photocopiable and downloadable material, which can be used to support classroom teachers at primary and middle school levels.
Chapter 1: Introduction — guiding principles and practices
- Outline of the guiding principles and practices of oral language. This chapter includes an overview of speaking and listening, the traits of effective teachers of oral language and the teaching approaches that develop speaking and listening. In addition, there is information on dialogic teaching and supporting English language learners.
Chapter 2: The speaking and listening classroom
- Ideas for establishing routines and expectations for student talk, including different approaches and ideas for grouping students. A range of practical resources such as student role cards, talking strips and sentence starter cards are introduced.
Chapter 3: Planning for vocabulary teaching
- Includes a breakdown of the components of a balanced vocabulary programme. This chapter outlines research-based information about which words to teach and how they might be taught. It also includes a range of vocabulary activities that build word-consciousness and teach word-learning strategies and links to online resources.
Chapter 4: Using drama to enhance oral language
- Information about the benefits of using drama to enhance oral language. This chapter includes practical, achievable drama activities that can be incorporated across the curriculum.
Chapter 5: Developing listening skills
- Includes information on the different types of listening and includes suggestions for activities that focus on improving listening skills.
Chapter 6: Oral presentations
- Clear guidelines for planning oral presentations for a variety of purposes. Practical ideas are included such as oral presentation criteria, feedback templates, and ideas for class meetings.
All photocopy masters are included in black and white at the back of the book (refer to page 139).
Many activities in the book are suitable to use as homework activities. These have been indicated with the Home-talk icon.
|Product Type||Teacher Resources,|
|Year Level||Foundation, Year 1, Year 2, Year 3, Year 4, Year 5, Year 6, Year 7, Year 8,|
|Author(s)||Sheena Cameron and Louise Dempsey|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Teacher Superstore users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.